At the time of posting, I’m actually in the midst of changing my satellite gear so it is no longer my current setup. That said, I wanted to document it before I forgot about it and pass along my thoughts in case anyone else finds the information useful in the future.
In general, the radios and antennas for my ham radio satellite operations I’ve used have not changed since my last gear update (February 2020 Satellite Operations Gear). Check out that post for more details, but basically I use a Kenwood TH-D74 for a receive radio, an Yaesu FT-817ND as a transmit radio, an Arrow Antenna (now a custom-drilled version by WY7AA), with a variety of cables and adapters in between. In the last six months, I added a 3 Ah Bioenno battery pack to power the FT-817ND as well as a David Clark PC headset to replace the cheap PC headset I previously used.
I’ve enjoyed using the Kenwood TH-D74 for the last four years or so, and despite its regular use and fragile design, it has survived that period without any major damage. However, a couple years ago, a small crack started to develop on the back of the case next to the belt clip. I don’t recall dropping the radio ever, so I assume this must be from bumping into other stuff when traveling with the radio in my backpack. I filled the crack with some glue to try to stop it from growing and that seemed to mostly work, although I was still concerned about water ingress. I’ve tried to be careful since and haven’t had any issues.
Fast forward to a few weeks ago, and I’m out hiking with the D74 to test APRS with a new antenna. As I go to clip the radio on my pocket, the belt clip snaps in half. I didn’t use the belt clip too often, but the plastic must have just weakened over time. I noticed that the spring is quite tight so that even when snapped in half, there is enough pressure on the clip to close it all the way to the radio body as you can see in the first photo above. Perhaps a poor design, but in any case, I needed to fix this one.
Although I really like the Kenwood TH-D74 for its long list of features, being an HT, the user interface is not well suited to satellite operations. In particular, for linear satellites where I may need to continuously vary the tuning throughout the pass, it is tough to come up with a good mounting scheme on my chest rig so that the tuning knob is accessible and the screen is viewable. To try to solve this problem, I thought I could somehow build an upward facing display so I can mount the radio vertically and have access to the knobs and a good display. The photo above shows the final product for this project which is built around a Raspberry Pi Zero W and the USB interface the TH-D74 supports.